WSIB/Disability Management Specialist
- City of Hamilton
- 155 King William Street, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 4C
- $65,934 - $77,572 per annum (2017 salary rate)
- Registered Practical Nurse and WSIB
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness, Nurses
- Job Type
HAMILTON POLICE SERVICE (HPS)
NOTICE OF A CIVILIAN CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Job Title & No.: WSIB/Disability Management Specialist - JJR Job Code #183, PS Job Code #7056
Reports To: Manager, Labour and Occupational Health, Human Resources Division
Job Location: Central Police Station, 155 King William St, Hamilton, ON, but will need to attend other locations, as required
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, however, must be flexible to work other hours.
Salary: Schedule 8E - $65,934 - $77,572 per annum (As of January 1, 2017); New Job - Subject to Joint Job Review after the first six (6) months
Created: September 2018
Under the general direction of the Manager, Labour and Occupational Health, the WSIB/Disability Management Specialist works closely with other members of the Human Resources team to ensure proper management of WSIB claims and issues. The WSIB/Disability Management Specialist will manage all WSIB claims for the Service, ensuring all regulatory obligations are maintained. Responsibilities include reporting and managing claims within the required timeframes, maintaining confidential files, preparing claims analysis, statistics, reports, and preparing files for objections, appeals, and hearings up to and including the Appeals Resolution Officer (ARO) and Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT) levels.
- Provide and maintain subject matter expertise in the area of WSIB Claims Management.
- Act as the primary contact for all inquiries related to workplace injury claims from internal and external stakeholders. Respond to all inquiries in person, by phone, or in writing, and/or relay calls and messages to the appropriate personnel.
- Conducts detailed in-takes with employees and collects relevant information for data compilation. Maintains statistical data in relation to in-take completions.
- Record and report WSIB claims within required timeframes, maintaining all necessary files. Prepares claims analysis and reports with Microsoft Excel or appropriate software.
- Processes accident and investigation reports by analyzing data and determining impact on claims management and work accommodation efforts.
- Maintains accurate historical data by reviewing accident reports, analyzing details, categorizing information, and entering data into the computerized claims management system. (ie. Parklane, MitreFinch and PeopleSoft).
- Monitor all WSIB costs, process payments, and liaise with Finance on payment issues.
- Compose and prepare correspondence on routine and non-routine matters to employees, medical practitioners, and WSIB regarding compensation claims and third party claims.
- Process and maintain bridging benefits for eligible employees, including percentage adjustments for employees where claims have been approved by the WSIB.
- Maintain clinical charting records and other confidential medical/attendance files (e.g. medical notes, WSIB information, attendance forms, etc.). Ensure the privacy of member medical and personal information.
- Provide support to employees, frontline supervisors and management on the WSIB process. Make recommendations to supervisor on claims issues and on issues of compliance.
- Provide support to the Occupational Health Nurse during periods of absence.
- Investigate and prepare files for the Manager, Labour and Occupational Health, including drafting detailed case summaries for appeals scheduled to be heard at the WSIAT and ARO.
- Work in accordance with the standards of your regulated body and provisions of applicable WSIB/WSIA, Ontario Occupational Health & Safety (OHSA), Employment Standards Act (ESA), Human Rights Code (HRC) legislation and regulations, and all HPS/City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS).
- Identify WSIB decision trends and report statistical trends to the Manager, Labour and Occupational Health.
- Perform other duties, as assigned by the Manager, Labour and Occupational Health.
Working Conditions: Regular office environment, but may need to travel to and from various work locations. Requirement to focus for significant periods of time when reviewing WSIB documents within specific timelines. Duties involve exposure to highly confidential and sensitive information which cannot be shared except in the course of judicial proceedings or pursuant to the order of a Command Officer or Supervisor.
Physical & Sensory Demands/Dexterity: Assignments will involve activities such as reading, writing, keyboarding, talking, listening, sitting, standing, walking, lifting, bending/stooping, reaching, and filing.
Training: This is a new position so initiative will be critical. Some on-the-job training will be provided.
- Education: Registered Practical Nurse or Occupational Therapist or Kinesiologist licensed to practice in Ontario. Current Certificate of Competence with the applicable regulated body is required. An equivalent combination of at least six (6) years of job related education/training and experience may be considered.
- Experience: Minimum three (3) years of work experience in attendance/disability claims management, including at least two (2) years of experience with WSIB Claims Administration for both physical and mental health claims. Must have previous experience using Claims Management systems. Experience with Parklane, PeopleSoft and MitreFinch are considered assets.
- Experience working in a unionized public sector environment is an asset.
- Certificates/Licenses/Apprenticeships: Valid Class G Driver’s Licence, or the equivalent, with no more than six (6) accumulated demerit points, permitting you to drive an automobile in Ontario with full driving privileges. Certificate or a Post-Secondary Diploma specializing in WSIB/Disability Management is an asset.
- Advanced Microsoft (MS) Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills (e.g. compose letters, spreadsheets/charts, presentations/reports), and demonstrated clerical abilities (e.g. basic office/reading comprehension, numeracy, grammar, spelling, filing, copying/ comparing information, proofreading, etc.).
- Must possess a strong working knowledge of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA) and its related policies, as well as knowledge of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Employment Standards Act (ESA), and Human Rights Code (HRC) as they relate to the WSIA.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to compose complex correspondence and reports, strong conflict resolution, and presentation skills required.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed. Excellent self-initiative.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work cooperatively with the Human Resources Team, members of the Service, and City of Hamilton and WSIB staff.
- Excellent multi-tasking, organization, planning, and time management skills, including the ability to meet specific reporting deadlines.
- Ability to learn and follow established policies and procedures and possess the ability to produce accurate and precise work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and to use tact, diplomacy, and discretion when performing assignments and communicating with others.
Posting Deadline and Instructions
Applications (i.e. cover letter and resume – all one document, cover letter first) are to be submitted before November 15, 2018 at 11:59pm and should clearly indicate what you have to offer in terms of all of the Required Competencies as part of your cover letter or resume. Please send resumes to Victoria Choe at firstname.lastname@example.org
Email correspondence is an essential part of the recruitment process. Ensure you include your email address, as well as your business/day phone number, your home/evening number, and/or your cell phone numbers on your application and online, to facilitate our ability to contact you. Failure to provide an e-mail address will result in your application being rejected. Also, please ensure you allow your email to accept messages from @hamiltonpolice.on.ca and/or check your junk mail regularly after applying.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for testing and/or an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or emails please. We are unable to respond to all applicants.
Please note that the Hamilton Police Service is committed to the principles of equal opportunity and reflecting the diverse community that we serve. Fluency in a second language is an asset; please indicate if you are able to speak another language on your application.
The Hamilton Police Service is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation for testing, interview, or employment purposes.
We invite you to visit the Hamilton Police Service website to obtain further information on the Service, or visit our Careers webpage to obtain further information on career opportunities with our Police Service (e.g. Police Constable, Police Cadet, Civilian, Volunteer, and Auxiliary opportunities). Information on the Constable Selection System (CSS) can be found on the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services website.
If hired, the incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for their position and the workplace.
By applying, you agree that the statements made by you are true, complete, and correct to the best of your knowledge. Further, you understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, and/or deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for dismissal.
More search results
Supervisor of PSWs (In Home Nurse)
We're Hiring Registered Practical Nurses!
London Health Sciences Centre
Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
The Gardens of Peterborough
Registered Practical Nurse - Part Time and Full T…
Waterford Kingston Retirement Residence (Sienna Senior Living)
OR Technician (RPN) - Operating Room - Temporary,…
Religious Hospitallers of Saint Joseph of the Hotel Dieu of Kingston