Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
St. Patrick's Home of Ottawa is a long-term 24 hour care facility that provides supportive assisted living & respite care to our community of nearly 300 residents as diverse as the Ottawa community itself. We at St. Patrick’s Home understand quality of life means something different for everyone. That’s why we build unique, individual relationships with each of the residents of our Home through our team of staff, volunteers, residents, families and friends.
The Registered Practical Nurse participates in the nursing process as a qualified member of the nursing team, under the direction of nursing management; and may assume responsibility for a Resident Home Area (Care Leader) under the direction of a Registered Nurse. They are also accountable to and mindful of all applicable legislation e.g. Long Term Care Homes Act – 2007, Nursing Act, 1991 and the Occupational Health and Safety Act
The RPN will provide professional nursing care to residents, supervise and coordinate care given by Personal Support Workers (PSWs). He/she is required to plan, direct and co-ordinate all activities necessary for the management of assigned Resident Home Areas and will work closely with the RN, RAI-MDS Coordinator, Attending Physicians and the Multi-disciplinary Team.
Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse:
1. Assesses the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of the Residents
2. Provides guidance and leadership to Personal Support Workers
3. Assists with the planning of care and is responsible for overseeing routines specific to his/her role within the interdisciplinary care team and volunteers
4. Administers medication
5. Completes all components of RAI-MDS assessments as scheduled (RAPS and care planning)
· Current Ontario Certificate of Competence
· Certificate of an approved Medication Administration Course
· Knowledge of electronic documentation systems
· Ability to work in a team environment and communicate effectively