SUMMARY OF POSITION
This specialized multidisciplinary community based team (Assertive Community Treatment Team) provides intensive treatment, rehabilitation and support within an outreach model to individuals with serious mental illness in the Waterloo Region utilizing a client driven approach. Using the principles of client-centered care within the context of a multi-disciplinary team approach the nurse is responsible for conducting comprehensive bio-psychosocial assessments, mental status and physical health assessments; making appropriate referrals to community physicians; providing management and administration of medication in conjunction with the psychiatrist; providing intensive treatment, rehabilitation, and community support services. The position involves a varied schedule rotation within a team setting.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN).
- Experience in a community mental health setting working with adults recovering from serious mental health illness.
- Knowledge of mental health resources within the Waterloo Region, considered an asset.
- Preference give to candidates certified in, or in the process of completing courses toward the certificate in, Canadian Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing.
- Certification in CPR, non-violent crisis intervention and in suicide risk assessment preferred.
- Demonstrated skill in applying the principles of PSR, Recovery and case management.
- Ability to work within the agency’s mission and values.
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act and other relevant legislation.
- Willing to travel extensively within the catchment area and to work evenings and weekends.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, relevant insurance and use of a reliable vehicle.
- Proficient in PC skills (MS Office Suite).
- Provide a satisfactory police vulnerable sector check.